Harrisburg, November 16, 2020 – State Senator John Yudichak (I – Luzerne/Carbon) announced today that over $345,000 has been awarded to schools in the 14th Senatorial District through the 2020-2021 Safe Schools Targeted Grants program.
“Schools in northeastern Pennsylvania, through the exemplary leadership of the Luzerne Intermediate Unit 18, are empowered by grants from the Pennsylvania Department of Education to ensure the safety and well-being of our children in the classroom,” said Senator John Yudichak.
“Our school communities have been working tirelessly over the past several years to improve school safety,” said Joe DeLucca, Federal & State Services Director, Luzerne County IU 18. “This grant funding provided by the PA Department of Education helps immensely in filling security gaps, which we have identified through our physical security assessments. We would like to thank Senator Yudichak and our state and local leaders for their unending support in this very important endeavor.”
The grants were awarded today by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Grants are awarded to schools to prevent and reduce violent incidents, to purchase safety and security-related equipment, and to provide for the training and compensation of school resource and police officers.
14th Senatorial Breakdown
- Luzerne Greater Nanticoke Area SD $24,948.00
- Luzerne Hanover Area SD $20,482.00
- Luzerne Wyoming Valley West SD $24,780.00
- Luzerne Crestwood SD $25,000.00
- Luzerne Greater Nanticoke Area SD $39,992.00
- Luzerne Hanover Area SD $45,951.00
IU – Non-public
- Luzerne IU 18 – Good Shepherd $24,885.00
- Luzerne IU 18 – Holy Family $24,885.00
- Luzerne IU 18 – Holy Redeemer $24,885.00
- Luzerne IU 18 – Immanuel Christian $17,388.40
- Luzerne IU 18 – IU $24,493.00
- Luzerne IU 18 – St. Jude $24,885.00
- Luzerne IU 18 – St. Nick St. Mary $24,885.00
- Luzerne IU 18 – WAC $24,885.00
Carly Simpson: 717-787-7105
Brad Hurley: 570-325-3274